This week on the blog, we're dabbling back into DIY, and I hope you're ready because it's a good one..
DIY DIRTY CHAI.
As most of you know, THIS DRINK IS MY LIFE LINE.
Most mornings you can find me at my local Intelligentsia for my favorite dirty chai of all. I use to order this cup every morning but then I started to realize it might be a bit pathetic if I go broke because of dirty chais. At intelligentsia my drink of choice is usually around $6 (that's without the barista hooking me up because they see me so much). I'm not really sure if they're hooking me up because they think I'm a cool human or if they feel bad that they are charging me $6 (quite regularly) for a 12oz cup of 3 ingredients. I'm thinking it's the latter.
All this being said, I've done a bit of research to find a dirty chai recipe that can top any you might find at your local coffee shop. There's super simple recipes out there, and then there's the fun ones that require a little more effort. I've decided to share with you a fun one, because it's worth it.
So here's a recipe I want to share. WE'RE ABOUT TO MAKE OUR VERY OWN CHAI. Let's do this thing.
½ part coriander seed
½ part chopped gingerroot
¼ part coarsely ground black peppercorns
¼ ground cardamom
⅛ part whole cloves
Darjeeling tea (black or green tea also works)
1 shot espresso!
Honey (to taste)
- Combine the coriander, ginger, peppercorns, cardamom, and cloves and mix well
- Using 1 teaspoon of the herb mixture per cup of water, simmer the spices for 15 to 25 minutes
- Remove from the heat, add an appropriate amount of Darjeeling (depending on how many servings you’ve brewed), cover, and let steep for 5 minutes
- Strain, then add 1 shot of Espresso
- Add frothed milk (short on time? pour some milk into a mason jar, close lid, and shake until frothy!)
- Sweeten to taste with honey (optional)